Follow Me On Blogloving

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

It All Starts With A Blank Page

     It is funny how your mind can race with ideas all day, until you sit down and put those ideas into words. There can be an appreciation for all of those that write for a living. They must be at the top of their game work through writers block. Fortunately I do not have that problem.

    I have the unique opportunity to listen to several musicians this week. They are the ones that possess a real talent. First they have to write the songs, usually stemming from their life experiences. That to me sounds like a real challenge. It also takes some courage to put thoughts and feelings out there for the world. Secondly, these artists must attach these emotions to a melody that does some justice to the story being told. Lastly they have to sing/record the song and hope that it is embraced.

     Now my musical tastes are very diverse. I can listen to most kinds of music and I have found (in some cases they have found me) some very interesting and talented musicians. One of the first musicians that I found on the internet is Kina Grannis. I really like the story behind her song "Valentine". The video is very simple and has a wonderful message. I explored her music even more and found other songs that I really enjoyed listening to. One of the most unique music videos I have ever seen is for her song "In Your Arms". It took a lot of patience to make a video using "288,000 jelly beans and 1 Kina Grannis". I have not found anything that Kina sings that I do not like. Check out all of her music.

     Another one of the internet's talents is Lizzy Spit. I started following her on Google+ while she was living in Australia. Since that time I have had the pleasure to be a part of her online musical experience. Lizzy has done a pretty good job on some cover song. One of her most recent creations is "Jolene" by Dolly Parton. I really enjoyed listening to Lizzy's version. Lizzy does not stop with cover song, but has taken her own creations into the studio ("Once Upon A Time" and "Goodbye (to the ones who screwed you over)" to name a couple). Take a listen to her and I hope that you will appreciate her music too.

     The interesting thing about the music world is that sometimes they find you. Out of the blue "The Gigi Sisters" discovered me. At first I was a little skeptical on the talent that these girls had. My first experience was listening to them singing along with a recording and they did not seem to have the best sound quality. Then I took a second look at them. I listened to studio versions of their music and discovered that they have a good sound quality. They harmonize well and compliment each others singing. "My Girl" is one of the songs that sold me. It kept getting better as I listened to other songs like, "People In Glasshouses" and "This Is Me".

Well this is what I have for today. There are several other artists and hopefully I will mention them soon. For today though that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment